Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-02-02, 07:36 AM   #1
SurfMonkey
QuadCore G80 PS3 Overload

Location: In a small room surrounded by vast, inscrutable, machines...
Default NV30 to rape the R300...!?

Interesting Creative qoute from a Norwegian site:

Quote:
Creative speaks of NV30.

Creative: "Vi vet ikke enda om det vil hete GeForce 5 eller om det blir snakk om et helt nytt produktnavn, men NV30 er heftige saker som i hvertfall vil legge Radeon 9700 i grus, lover Leyden. "

My tranlation: We dont now yet what it will be called, GeForce5 or if it will have a brand new product name. But NV30 is hot stuff that will rape the Radeon9700"
(Actually the last part is not correct, but its norwegian and does not make mush sense translating directly to english, but anyway, it have the same meaning

Creative: "Vi regner med våre nye produkter basert på NV30 og NV31 vil ha full penetrasjon på massemarkedet neste år. Frem mot det er vi derimot ikke helt sikre på om vi vil lansere AGP8X-versjoner av GeForce 4-kortene våre eller ikke, legger han til."

My translation: We belive our new product based on NV30 and NV31 will reach mass marked with full force next year. We are not sure we will release the AGP8x version of the GeForce4.

Please excuse my bad english, but I think you will get the point
Beyond3D

"Halflife2 got halfway around the world before Gabe had a chance to get his pants on."
Anon
SurfMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-02, 08:16 AM   #2
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

And? I suppose if I said the R500 will rape the NV45 that would somehow be meaningful as well? It's doubtful that guy has ever actually seen an NV30, or even real specs of the hardware. He has been spoonfed marketing fluff from... guess who... NVIDIA. Further, it's PR justifying why they aren't making a 9700 for the European market. What else do you expect them to say?
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-02, 08:45 AM   #3
SurfMonkey

Well, I guess that would depend on whether the outcome is as they predict or whether it is just PR spin, we'll find out in a month or two anyway. And anybody who is in the market to buy a top class performing gfx card should care, why spend your readies on anything but the best? And you'll only find out what is the best when you can subjectively compare products. And since the current top product appears to have a 50-50 success\fail rate amongst users it would be wise to wait.

"Halflife2 got halfway around the world before Gabe had a chance to get his pants on."
Anon
Old 10-02-02, 10:38 AM   #4
borntosoul

well im getting an ichy finger ,its been a while since we heard from nvidia ,whats going on ? no specs hardly any released info hmmmmm whats cooking ??????????no big front page add on their web site saying how they will change the face of graphics in XX days like they did with the other cards ,might be tight out there
borntosoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-02, 11:23 AM   #5
SurfMonkey

I think nVidia are playing this game exceedingly cautiously, they have already been burnt by the TSMC problems and now they may be facing delays in the standardisation of DDRII. They have alot of investors to keep happy.

Also they might well have a killer product, and having seen how they've played this game before, they may want ATi to bask a little before being knocked back into the stone age. It would make the defeat so much sweeter for nVidia.

I have to admit I now have four machines with 9700s in them, three of which I am waiting to be RMA'd as they are naff and didn't work properly. I would never blow £300 on a card with a 1 in 4 chance of working for my home machine.

The sooner the NV30 arrives the better, it may inspire ATi to release a bug fixed working version of the R300 with good drivers. It will also mean that we, as consumers, have more choice and get to choose the best for us.

Anon
Old 10-02-02, 01:07 PM   #6
Megatron
Powered by 6800GT

Quote:
Originally posted by SurfMonkey
Also they might well have a killer product, and having seen how they've played this game before, they may want ATi to bask a little before being knocked back into the stone age. It would make the defeat so much sweeter for nVidia.

Thats a very dangerous game for any company to play. What if instead of "basking" ATI was developing..say an R350 to have ready to counterpunch Nvidias belated offering. Realistically the more time Nv30 is delayed this becomes more of a reality, as both of these big hitters constantly are working on their next release.

Companies never intentionally allow the competition to take the forefront...and certainly if a competitior does..the other company would not consciously allow them to keep it just to make a sweeter long term victory.

Nv30 smells like another Rampage to me.
Windows XP
Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-02, 01:19 PM   #7
SurfMonkey

It all depends on how far along ATi are with mastering the .13u process, full credit to their hardware people for the R300 design. I don't believe that they will get much more out of the .15u process and they may run, or have run, into as many problems as nVidia, AMD, and Intel did with their swap overs.

My opinion is that the TSMC and other delays have meant that nVidia have had no option but to take their time. They didn't really have much choice. And now they are still not in full control of what happens. But in the end they will have the design and knowledge of the proccesses involved with this new technology to jump ahead of ATi.

I also can't see ATi releasing a better R300 after only 2.5 months of the R300's lifespan have passed. It would almost be admitting that it wasn't as good as it could have been and that they rushed it out to get the jump on nVidia.

Anon
Old 10-02-02, 01:36 PM   #8
Megatron