Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-01-02, 04:04 AM   #13
ErrorS

how does taping out something have anything to do with TMCS's problems? .. Truly, it doesnt have anything to do with TMCS..
Old 10-01-02, 04:13 AM   #14
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by thcdru2k
WOW i can't wait till nv30 comes out, imagine that, for $300 bucks not only do you have a new spiffy videocard, you can generate energy for your whole block! how sweet!
are you sure you aren't describing the R9700Pro
Old 10-01-02, 05:54 AM   #15
SavagePaladin
info*****

Default Re: nv30 problem rumor

Quote:
Originally posted by bob747b
I heard a rumor second hand that there has been a problem while trying to go from tapeout to first silicon with the nv30. What I heard is that there is currently a delay that could last from 2 weeks to 5 months depending on the severity of the problem. 2 weeks is basically TSMC has an easy to fix problem in their .13 process. 5 months is there is a flaw in the .13 process or a flaw in the nv30 design that would require a full workaround. This would force nvidia to go though the entire tapeout process again.

My thoughts on this is that this corresponds to another rumor that TSMC has told it's major customers recently not to tapeout any chips based on the .13 process since they are currently diagnosing an issue with it.

Also I think the stock option deal nvidia offered their employees a week ago could be seen as a way of trying to keep it's employees happy even if the much hyped nv30 is having problems. Though I'm pretty sure if they were acting on info they had about the nv30 that hasn't been released to stockholders this would be considered illegal since they are basically trading stock (or options in this case) with inside information (ie insider trading). But I definenlty don't know all the laws on this so I'm just adding this part on as food for thought if the first rumor turns out to be true.

I sure hope none of this is true because some competition for ATI at the high end would be a good thing.
Yeah I heard this....like 5 months ago or something???
wtf
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 06:16 AM   #16
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

Does anyone know when the NV30 will actually be available for sale?

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 06:21 AM   #17
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by TheOneKEA
Does anyone know when the NV30 will actually be available for sale?
supposedly announced in November. depending on who you ask, it will be available as early as December or possibly early next year.
Old 10-01-02, 01:35 PM   #18
borntosoul

get this ,i heard that micheal schumacher and rory byrne helped to design the nv30 and it might slow down to let rubins in the 9700 to pull up along side muahaha
borntosoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 01:50 PM   #19
Uttar

Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar

There is one truly lame point in that rumor: that stock option plan would be to keep employees even if NV30 isn't all that good.

Err, if i can permit myself, employees wouldn't quit if NV30 was crap. They'd quit because their stock would become worthless.

So, since nV stock ALREADY is worthless, they're only trying to keep employees from quitting by tripling what they got and transform that in common stock.

As for the tape-out problem, this is just speculation, but IMO, that's what happened months ago. That's why the NV30 wasn't announced a month ago like the CEO originally promised.

And now, they got it right ( unlikely they made the same mistake TWICE ) and it's in probably early production.

Uttar
Uttar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-02, 01:27 AM   #20
borntosoul

something is fishy ,pheeew what a smell ,is nvidia in trouble for having to many hands on too many pies ,has ati really given nvidia a bit of a headache ,does the nv30 really have problems ,is its performance sub par ,stay tuned same bat channel same bat station
borntosoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-02, 05:26 PM   #21
jbirney

For what its worth, it appears there is a more creditable source:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2674

The poster has been at B3D for a long time and has an amazingly accurate track record. He does have inside sources at TMSC. Now when I first saw this post I though BS!!!! Now that I see CMKRNL posting about something that is close I would consider it to be a bit more relaible. A rumor still, but at least it has a bit more substance...
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-02, 08:00 PM   #22
PreservedSwine
I'm always hungry

Quote:
Originally posted by jbirney
For what its worth, it appears there is a more creditable source:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2674

The poster has been at B3D for a long time and has an amazingly accurate track record. He does have inside sources at TMSC. Now when I first saw this post I though BS!!!! Now that I see CMKRNL posting about something that is close I would consider it to be a bit more relaible. A rumor still, but at least it has a bit more substance...
Damn, you beat me too it. I lurk over at b3d, but don't post.
If anyone is familiar w/ CMKRNL, they know this is no joke....
PreservedSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-02, 03:03 PM   #23
bob747b

I found out that the nv30 is now back on track and nvidia should have first silicon in their hands in about 2 weeks. This is the good news. The bad news is from what I've heard about the specs, I'm not at all certain it will be faster than the R300 in most games/benchmarks.
bob747b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-02, 03:13 PM   #24
Uttar

Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar

If that's true, bob747b, then i was right all along. The NV30 is about features - not just darned useless raw speed.

However, i did predict it was going to be a little faster than the R300 because it got higher clocks.

But then again, you could just be speculating. We'll see that soon i suppose.

Uttar
Uttar is offline   Reply With Quote