Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-05-13, 05:51 PM   #1
dimm0k

Default Quadro 2000M and slow performance under Linux KDE

Currently running KDE 4.10.2, xorg 1.12.4 on Slackware64 14.0 with the Latest Long Lived Branch version of the nVidia drivers.

Issue I'm facing is that switching between desktops in KDE get more and more sluggish the longer I stay in KDE. This is exacerbated if I start up a VMWare session. Instead of the quick switch from desktop to desktop, I see maybe a 2-3 second pause before the new desktop is displayed. This is on a system with 16GB of RAM and the Quadro 2000M graphics system.

A bit of history... I have been upgrading to the latest nVidia drivers of the Latest Short Lived Branch every time there's a new release and as far as I can remember using this line of versions I have had this issue. Unfortunately it may have been coincidental that it occurred around the same time that I switched to a newer version of KDE. To reiterate my issue, it's not with playing video that's sluggish, it's more with switching between desktops. The current number of desktops I have is 8 and when these slowdowns occur it can take 2-3 seconds to display a desktop when switching from another instead of the quick no lag switching I get when I start a fresh KDE session.

Anyhow I have temporarily switched nVidia drivers to the Latest Long Lived Branch version and so far after about a 17 hours with VMWare running, KDE is still snappy. I'll stay in KDE as long as possible and report back after some more time has passed.

glxgears reports on average 299 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.758 FPS. I remember this be a lot higher in the past so I'm wondering if I'm missing something here...
dimm0k is offline   Reply With Quote