Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-12-12, 01:55 PM   #1
ViN86

Default Catalyst 12.2 Review Thread

Since we seem to have driver issues being constantly discussed in hardware threads, here's a thread dedicated to comments (good and bad) related to the latest driver set: Catalyst 12.2. Each time we have a release, feel free to create a thread and comment on the drivers. I will try to keep the latest driver thread stickied.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...easeNotes.aspx

Quote:
Highlights of the AMD Catalyst 12.2 Windows release includes:

NEW FEATURES

Windows 7 and Windows Vista support for the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series and AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

Enables support for Windows 7 64-bit/32-bit and Windows Vista 64-bit/32-bit.
Windows XP support will be made available in AMD Catalyst 12.4.

IMPROVEMENTS

Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing is now available for DirectX® 10 and DirectX 11 applications

Supported on the AMD Radeon HD 7900 and AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series.
Users can now enable Super Sample Anti-Aliasing and Adaptive Anti-Aliasing through the AMD Catalyst Control Center for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications.
Applications must support in game Anti-Aliasing for the feature to work (Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center is not supported for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications).

AMD Eyefinity 2.1 technology enhancements

Custom resolutions – users can now choose from a much larger set of display resolutions for their AMD Eyefinity configurations.
Dynamic Configuration Changes: Switching between different display configurations (when physically plugging/un-plugging displays) will occur automatically by loading the appropriate profile.
HydraVision enhancements: The Windows Task bar can now be moved and resized based on users preference.
Profile Manager improvements: Users can now create multiple Display profiles, enabling users to seamlessly switch between various AMD Eyefinity and Display Configurations.

RESOLVED ISSUES

Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System

This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 12.2 software suite for Windows 7. These include:

Random texture flickering is no longer experienced when playing Tom Clancy HAWX with Crossfire™ and Eyefinity enabled.
Random texture flickering is no longer experienced when playing Call of Duty – Modern Warfare 3 in a Tri-Crossfire setup.
Random texture flickering is no longer experienced when playing Dragon Age 2 with Crossfire and Vsync enabled.
Skipping the in-game cinematics when running Dragon Age 2 in DirectX 11 mode no longer causes random stuttering.
The Battleforge DirectX 10.0 benchmark no longer experiences intermittent crashes when run in Tri-Crossfire mode.
Random flickering is no longer observed when playing Battlefield – Bad Company 2 in DirectX 11 mode.
Playing back h.264 interlaced BluRay content no longer displays intermittent green flashing.
The system no longer experiences random hangs when playing back BluRay 3D content in Duplicate mode.
Starcraft II no longer experiences random system crashes when exiting a campaign in certain Crossfire configurations.
Batman – Arkam City no longer experiences intermittent system crashes when run in DirectX 11 mode.
Changing Crossfire settings no longer causes a random system crash.
A system crash is no longer experienced when playing Rage with Crossfire enabled.
Crysis Warhead and Battlefield – Bad Company II no longer experience random crashes in certain Crossfire configurations.
Playback of BluRay 3D content now correctly uses hardware acceleration.
Random texture corruption is no longer displayed when playing Dirt III in DirectX 11 mode and with anisotropic filtering applied.

Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System

This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 12.2 software suite for Windows 7. These include:

Windows Aero options are available after installing the driver.
Background textures in World of Warcraft Cataclysm no longer experience random flickering in some Crossfire and Eyefinity configurations.

KNOWN ISSUES

Known issues under the Windows 7 operating system

The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows 7 operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst. These include:

Alan Wake - Enabling CrossfireX can cause corruptions or hangs. This issue will be fixed in AMD Catalyst 12.3
Elder Scrolls - Image corruption can be be seen with Anti-Aliasing enabled on speciic AMD graphics hardware. This issue will be fixed in AMD Catalyst 12.3
Vsync may be disabled after task switching when playing Rage.
A black screen may be displayed when running Civilization V in certain Eyefinity configurations.
Playing Far Cry 2 at high in game settings may generate a system hang.
Poor performance may be experience when playing Dirt 3 in DirectX 11 mode at low resolutions with Crossfire enabled.

Known issues under the Windows XP operating system

The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows XP operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst. These include:

The system may hand when playing Dirt 3 at maximum in-game settings.
Go.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 07:54 AM   #2
Revs

Default Re: Catalyst 12.2 Review Thread

I'll be giving these a go this weekend. I'll report back. Cheers ViNsTeR
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 09:50 AM   #3
ViN86

I'm still running 12.1's. There have been various reports regarding whether or not 12.2 is decent. For the time being, 12.1 works great for me, so I'm sticking. I did update my CAP though.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 12:53 AM   #4
Rakeesh

I took the update only because it was automatic and I just allowed it to proceed. I already want to downgrade.

If you play skyrim and you use FSAA, do not upgrade to this driver, it causes various graphics glitches.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 12:29 PM   #5
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph

Garbage driver....installed twice...won't work with 6970 2gb
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 12:54 PM   #6
Redeemed

Just installed this the other day, and it is great! Finally older titles like CoD work!

Haven't tried any new games, kinda' in a retro mood. CoD with forced AA via CCC is pretty awesome! Can you imagine, back in '03, playing this game with such high levels of AA @ 1920 x 1200 with silky smooth frames? Was unimaginable. I remember When I first bought this game back then I was rocking a Ti4200. Ran like crap maxed. Upgraded to a 5950U and was blown away.

*sighs*
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 12:45 PM   #7
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

Powerdvd is not able to play 3d blurays with this one. It has not worked for me since 11.12 whql drivers. For some reason the preview drivers seem to work fine, currently using 12.2 preview drivers