Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-05-11, 07:29 AM   #1
MadCatX

Default Mysterious heavy slowdown when playing 1080p videos through VDPAU

I first spotted this issue with 285.x series drivers though I don't play 1080p all that much so it could've been there for a longer time.
Whenever I play a 1080p video accelerated though VDPAU, the playback is very slow, the whole system slows down to a crawl, even the mouse cursor lags in X. It doesn't matter which player I use, I can reproduce this with mplayer, flashplugin, VLC. To resolve the situation I have to open nvidia-settings while the video is playing and set PowerMizer to "maximum performance". Everything gets up to speed almost immediately and I can switch the PowerMizer back to "adaptive" again. The card then clocks down to power level 2 and stays there. When the player is closed and opened again, I have to repeat this procedure.
When VDPAU is not used to accelerate decoding, I don't have this problem. There's also nothing wrong with 720p videos. The problem is still present in 290.06.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (34.2 KB, 53 views)
MadCatX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 01:08 PM   #2
MadCatX

Default Re: Mysterious heavy slowdown when playing 1080p videos through VDPAU

A bit of an update here. I tried to launch mplayer from console using the same command it's being passed by SMPlayer and strip it down to see if I can find what causes the slowdown. The original command looks like this
Code:
/usr/bin/mplayer -noquiet -nofs -nomouseinput -vc ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau, -lavdopts threads=3 -sub-fuzziness 1 -identify -slave -vo vdpau:denoise=1,hqscaling=4 -ao alsa -nokeepaspect -framedrop -hardframedrop -nodr -nodouble -input nodefault-bindings:conf=/dev/null -stop-xscreensaver -wid 121634965 -monitorpixelaspect 1 -ass -embeddedfonts -ass-line-spacing 0 -ass-font-scale 1 -ass-styles /home/madcat/.config/smplayer/styles.ass -fontconfig -font DejaVu LGC Sans -subfont-autoscale 0 -subfont-osd-scale 20 -subfont-text-scale 20 -subcp enca:cs:UTF-8 -vid 0 -aid 0 -subpos 100 -volume 32 -cache 4096 -ss 1443 -osdlevel 0 -noslices -channels 2 -af scaletempo -softvol -softvol-max 250 -cache-min 25 -lavdopts threads=3 /home/madcat/Hvězdné války - Epizoda III - Pomsta Sithů ( Revenge of the Sith - 2005 ).mkv
When I change "ffh264vdpau" to "ffh264", everything is OK so I guess there's an issue with accelerated h264 decoding, it would also explain why Adobe Flashplayer is affected.
Old 11-06-11, 01:23 PM   #3
MadCatX

Attached VDPAU debug files. First one is an ordinary playback, second one is where I toggled the PowerMizer a few seconds after the playback started, both with "-vc ffh264vdpau".
Attached Files
File Type: gz vdpau_dbg.tar.gz (42.6 KB, 58 views)
Old 11-06-11, 02:29 PM   #4
MadCatX

Another update. All videos encoded with x264 seem to be causing the problem, not just the 1080p ones but the slowdown is most noticeable with them.