Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-12-10, 12:37 PM   #25
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: ***Official Final Fantasy XIII Feedback Thread***

I really like the Paradigm shift system in this.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 12:49 PM   #26
KasuCode
Wiley

Send a message via AIM to KasuCode

Yea I like the Paradigm shift system. I feel like I have conroll over my characters. Scan the enemy then they auto attack with the correct spells. its easy to buff its easy to heal. The Paradigm system just speeds up battles and allows the game to act more realtime.

And so you know when crafting diffrent matts do diffrent things. the idea is to use one thing to get your bonus up to 3x then use crankshaft or something that gives high XP and use as many as you can afford to get HUGE ammouts of XP and level your weapon.

Check Out
~CrossWater~
KasuCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 01:04 PM   #27
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasuCode View Post
Yea I like the Paradigm shift system. I feel like I have conroll over my characters. Scan the enemy then they auto attack with the correct spells. its easy to buff its easy to heal. The Paradigm system just speeds up battles and allows the game to act more realtime.

And so you know when crafting diffrent matts do diffrent things. the idea is to use one thing to get your bonus up to 3x then use crankshaft or something that gives high XP and use as many as you can afford to get HUGE ammouts of XP and level your weapon.
Mostly the thing that blew my mind on the weapon upgrades was how high the levels can go... I have one at level 9 and figured that might be close to the max to upgrade it into something else.. WRONG.
Old 03-12-10, 01:27 PM   #28
KasuCode
Wiley

Send a message via AIM to KasuCode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
Mostly the thing that blew my mind on the weapon upgrades was how high the levels can go... I have one at level 9 and figured that might be close to the max to upgrade it into something else.. WRONG.
Yea always make sure you use the Bonus when you level dont put allot of mats in if you dont have a bonus. I have the Helter-skelter. Second version of the gladius for light. Its at level 30 at the moment.

Check Out
~CrossWater~
KasuCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 10:25 PM   #29
Viral
Registered User of Women

I gotta say after 20 hours I'm really liking this. Everything that people/reviewers are complaining about has its reasons. Like the auto battle for instance, the battles are much more about your paradigm shifts rather than selecting the right attacks. Your auto battle mode also doesn't pick the best attacks until you scan (libra) new enemies.

Having no shops is also necessary for the upgrade system, which is a hell of a lot more in depth than any leveling system in any other FF. As for character leveling, some reviews I saw called the crystarium (name?) like the sphere grid from X but worse. It's not worse at all when you take into account the paradigm shifts. You need to choose which paradigm mode you develop and when, so your constantly making choices rather than just chosing a path and being stuck on it for quite a while like X.

The battles are fast paced, which is why it makes sense that you shouldn't have to que every move and have to control the other characters, you simply couldn't keep up. Once you get into the system it does really work very well. Also, I was quite against having the "battle arena" like older games rather than XII's real world arena. This is different though, it's not your characters on one side and the enemies on the other, people end up switching positions which actually means a lot to the battle. Blitz attacks (multiple enemy damaging) can be qued when enemies are together, but when implemented the enemies may be seperated, so it can be up to you when to execute your que when doing these. Same with executing your cue when it's effective enough, no need to que up four attacks when an enemy is almost dead, that could be the difference between getting 5 stars and 4 stars with the battle timing system, which could mean worse spoils (loot).

As for everything else, graphics, quite damn good. For PC gamers you will feel right at home with this being a 1080p game, the alaising is little to none on the edges of things, it's mainly only noticable on shaders so far the major one being water in the in-game engine cut scenes. The first part of the game though besides the better resolution really didn't look that much better than the PS2 games. Later on there are some more noticable improvements but I think their stubborness to keep some certain effects and overal level and character design elements has made the games look like not a huge jump over the PS2 games as they should have.

The characters and story aren't all that bad. While the datalog is necessary for the first 5-10 hours to get your head around the story, I find reading it now is just summing up what I already know. The good thing about the datalog is that it serves as a summary when you load the game. This is useful to bring you up to date on where you are in the story, especially if you haven't played in a while.

I quite like the story now; it's basically a story of a world with mechanical gods running their society and mechanical devils posing a threat from below, all the while the government deals with it all in a questionable manner. Also, the people from the world below also seem to have accents from "down under", ironic

As usual some of the characters are annoying, but they develop a lot better as the story progresses in this installment. Snow is a overconfident idiot who has to say a incredibly cheesy line about heroes every 10 seconds at the start but after around 20 hours he develops quite a bit and is much better. Hope is a depressed whiny emo kid trying to get revenge until around the 20 hour mark where he starts to grow up. Lightning is cool in a dark way at the start but it gets annoying, then like the others she changes too. Vaniele (sp?) is weird and it seems like they got pedo bear approval on this character, but her deeper side is there.

Anyway, good game afterall so far, I'm glad.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 03:07 AM   #30
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
The upgrading thing honestly I don't get. Are there no guidelines or rules that were mentioned. I thought if I used the something oil + spark plug, I'd get a flaming sword or something similar, but that isn't how it seems to work.
What you get from item depends only from the original item, nothing else.
Just use organic items to get 3xBonus exp and then use electorinc stuff to get high exp.
Bonus does drop when item levels so it is feasible to use a lot of items at once. (something like 99xBomb cores. )

There are also items you get from disassembling certain items and in some cases in certain order.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 04:57 AM   #31
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

So is this game k for a FF nub? Last one I played was VII on PC.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 05:28 AM   #32
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Yes, it has tutorials for everything and a basic gameplay is quite simple.
It is also very easy in beginning altough it gets harder all the way.

Old 03-22-10, 05:31 AM   #33
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Perfectly fine for a nub... none of them are really linked, story wise... and as was explained before this... there are many tutorials you will go through.
Old 03-22-10, 07:33 AM   #34
crainger

I know the stories aren't really linked. I was just worried about the gameplay. However that too seems fairly inconsistent between the games.

I'll guess I'll play this... Sometime. I'm so far behind in my gaming.
Old 04-02-10, 03:42 PM   #35
jlippo

Quote:
I know the stories aren't really linked. I was just worried about the gameplay. However that too seems fairly inconsistent between the games.
Gameplay has been properly explained sience SNES times.
Also the games aveen in average from good to great, for me the high time was from 6- to 9 and those games I do pllay again and again once in a while.
So if you can take the cruel graphics of PSX try the FF7 and FF8 as well. (and FF9 when it is in PSN.)
Old 06-20-10, 05:21 AM   #36
crainger

I'm a little way through XIII now. It's pretty good. A lot of cringing from the story, a few of the lines and the fan service (which I do like). It's an amazing looking game. and the actual gameplay, while nothing like I've played before from a western RPG background is a lot of fun. I'm switching forms like a mad thing and getting 5 stars on even the boss battles. ::