Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-09-10, 04:37 AM   #1
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default ***Official Final Fantasy XIII Feedback Thread***

So it's out. Anyone get it yet? I haven't played a FFXIII game since VII and from the reviews XIII is very watered down compared the the last few games, so I'm thinking it could e a good way to try them out again. I also hear the story is kinda crap this time round. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 06:17 AM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: Final Fantasy XIII Feedback

I heard the story is great... after 12 hours of me. Im gonna wait abit, I got alot of games on my plate right now.

btw, You haven't played a FFXIII since FFVII? That would be kinda difficult to do...
Old 03-09-10, 09:05 AM   #3
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

The streamlined linear thing reminds me of FFX, though even worse this time it seems. Really turns me off... my favorite FFs were always the less linear ones like VI and IX. And no towns to explore? Reall?

I thought this game might spur me to go get my PS3 back, but so far it is not.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 09:10 AM   #4
|MaguS|

Meh, Most Final Fantasy games were pretty linear. Yeah most had an open world but my Favorite one (FFX) was the most linear of the series. I think linearity for the FF series isn't a bad thing since they focus more on story then they do extra content always. Take FF6, probably the least linear of the series and it really didn't have too much to offer outside the main story.
Old 03-09-10, 09:22 AM   #5
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Meh, Most Final Fantasy games were pretty linear. Yeah most had an open world but my Favorite one (FFX) was the most linear of the series. I think linearity for the FF series isn't a bad thing since they focus more on story then they do extra content always. Take FF6, probably the least linear of the series and it really didn't have too much to offer outside the main story.
Well during my early console days FF6 was amazing to me because I could take that ship and go where I wanted, that was amazing to me at the time. Of course later on I saw how linear it was story wise, compared to games like Fallout or Morrowind, but that was what made me love the game.

The best parts of later FFs in my opinion was the later game exploration, looking for secrets, looking for new areas, collecting the best weapons... from what I have read this one has none of that, no exploring towns and talking to people... it just seems too streamlined for me, so I am holding back.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 09:25 AM   #6
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

I have only played FF Crystal Chronicles: My life as a king. Does that count?
Old 03-09-10, 10:02 AM   #7
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Haven't decided yet, the combat system looks cool and I agree that FFX was one of the best. Think I'll wait a bit, GoW3 next week and all.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 10:48 AM   #8
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

I'm holding it until it goes on sale which I think it will. I have a lot games to finish first like Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Demon's Souls, inFamous, God of War III, Heavy Rain, and many more. Heh. I tend to play RPG during summer time when I don't have classes.

Last few weeks I finished four games in a week. Ghostbusters, Dante's Inferno, God of War I and II (well, I beat first game but wanted to repeat it). Right now I'm working on Batman: Arkham Asylum (AMAZING game!).

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-10, 12:58 PM   #9
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I heard the story is great... after 12 hours of me. Im gonna wait abit, I got alot of games on my plate right now.

btw, You haven't played a FFXIII since FFVII? That would be kinda difficult to do...
The big problem with the story, they just pile it all on. There is no real intro. You just start the game and are expected to know what's going on. Kinda like watching something like Lost midway through the middle seasons.

As for the combat, a huge part of the first 10 hours of the game, you can only choose one option. Auto Combat and you only control one party member. What's up with that?

Sure there is the codex, but who plays a console game to read?

As for missing the other FFs. I played 7 on PC, didn't own a PS2 for any of the others. Played a bit of 8, which left a bad taste as 8 was pretty crummy.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 12:42 AM   #10
Viral
Registered User of Women

Default Re: ***Official Final Fantasy XIII Feedback Thread***

Everything I'm hearing I don't like. I will have to make my own decision though, I'll be buying it tomorrow night.

I think FFXII had the best system so far, it was just the story that let it down for me. I didn't mind the sphere grid in X, but it wasn't brilliant either, this new system just sounds like all the bad things are taken from the sphere grid and none of the good things (choosing the direction you want to go with your player).

Lack of side quests sucks. I loved the monster bounty hunts in XII, was the most addicting part of it for me. No stores and proper towns is a huge disappointment too. This was one thing I though they perfected in XII, really added to the atmosphere and it was good to have central hubs/safehouses to come back to after a mission, it fitted in quite well with XII's less linear approach to the maps.

I guess I'll reserve my final judgement until I've sunk 20+ hours into it. For now, it's looking like once again us FFXII fans are the definite minority so they've decided to take a step back to the old formular with some new twists. Problem is, it's looking like they went back further than any of the modern games. Can't say I have any good hopes for the story or characters either...

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 03:16 AM   #11
KasuCode
Wiley

Send a message via AIM to KasuCode

Ive got 12 hours in it so far I like it allot. Feels diffrent. I like the combat. and i like linear games for story. I hate when I play a game for 40 hours and miss on something I dont have the time to go back and play it again.

Check Out
~CrossWater~
KasuCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 05:28 PM   #12
LurkerLito

I played it for about 2 hours and honestly I am not getting into it. Maybe it's too early for me to really decide if I like it or not, but as of now I am not liking the combat system. Maybe I am just too use to the pause and turn based games I have been playing lately, but it feels like there is no strategy to it at all, just pick auto and it all seems to work out right. I liked it better when it was turn based then I got to pick what each character would do/use. It does seem extremely linear, so far no surprises and it seems everything shows up on the map. There haven't been any mini games yet but it's early. I also don't like the whole if the leader dies then the game is over even if everyone else if fine and you have phoenix down potions available.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote