Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-22-09, 06:20 AM   #1
Kain

Default Back up your file encryption key? What is this?

I got this message in the taskbar. What is this?

It states the following: "Creating this backup file helps you avoid permanently losing access to your encrypted files if the original certificate and key are lost of corrupted."

I have three options:

Back up now (Recommended)
Back up later
Never back up
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 06:25 AM   #2
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Back up your file encryption key? What is this?

It's asking you to backup your encryption key, this is either Vista or HPs own software asking for this. Basically if you encrypt something, back it up and reformat you'll need your key otherwise you'll never open the file again. So if you aren't actually encrypting things, you can ignore it. I myself never encrypt on my desktop, I do on my mobile however.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 11:14 AM   #3
skinny40

Hey Kain,

Your laptop probably came with an encryption software pre-installed and is configured to encrypt your hard disk, meaning that your data and files are getting saved on the hard disk in the encrypted state. To encrypt the data the software creates (usually randomly) an encryption key (a long string of characters and digits) and uses it as an input (kind of password) to the encryption algorithm. The algorithm scrambles the data in such way that it is vurtually unreadable without the key. It is then stores it on the disk. When your applications try to access the data, the software unsrambles the data by using the key and reversing it to the original state (otherwise, the applications would receive garbage data).
It is therefore, very important to backup the encryption key on a removable media, such as flash drive, because in case of the laptop failure you'll be able to mount your hard drive as a slave and recover data from it using any other encryption software and the the key. Without it you are out of luck. At work, we are required to use data encryption and using zecurion suite for storage and backup encryption. It is actually pretty good with relatively low performance overhead. if interested, check them out and let me know how you made out.

good luck,
skinny
skinny40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-09, 03:17 PM   #4
Kain

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny40 View Post
Hey Kain,

Your laptop probably came with an encryption software pre-installed and is configured to encrypt your hard disk, meaning that your data and files are getting saved on the hard disk in the encrypted state. To encrypt the data the software creates (usually randomly) an encryption key (a long string of characters and digits) and uses it as an input (kind of password) to the encryption algorithm. The algorithm scrambles the data in such way that it is vurtually unreadable without the key. It is then stores it on the disk. When your applications try to access the data, the software unsrambles the data by using the key and reversing it to the original state (otherwise, the applications would receive garbage data).
It is therefore, very important to backup the encryption key on a removable media, such as flash drive, because in case of the laptop failure you'll be able to mount your hard drive as a slave and recover data from it using any other encryption software and the the key. Without it you are out of luck. At work, we are required to use data encryption and using zecurion suite for storage and backup encryption. It is actually pretty good with relatively low performance overhead. if interested, check them out and let me know how you made out.

good luck,
skinny
Thanks for the info. However, when I got my laptop, I did a fresh install of Vista 64-bit and never installed any encryption software. It seems it's Vista's own encryption stuff working here. I have never set any encryption settings for my laptop. Should I still backup the key like it says even though I know that I haven't done any encrypting?
Old 06-13-09, 03:49 PM   #5
bacon12

I think its a bug I see it every once in a while on my desktop. I think I have also seen it on server 08 for no apparent reason. I just ignore it.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-09, 11:12 AM   #6
Kain

Is there any way I can do a search on my HDD for encrypted files?
Old 12-15-09, 05:08 PM   #7
Kain

Anyone?
Old 05-24-11, 12:58 PM   #8
Ricky31725

Kain, sorry to see that no one replied to your message. I personally don't know much about this problem but I know someone who does. I'll get a hold of him and see what he has to say about the issue. I haven't done much work with HDD for encrypted files. Computer problems can be so frustrating. I accidentally broke my powered speakers last night because my computer crashed.

Last edited by Ricky31725; 05-26-11 at 01:17 PM.
Ricky31725 is offline   Reply With Quote