Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-23-08, 02:57 AM   #1
martini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 31
Default kernel based modesetting

@nvidia: are there any plans to support the upcoming kernel based modesetting?
would that be open or closed source?
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 08:13 AM   #2
Mr.A
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 62
Smile Re: kernel based modesetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini
@nvidia: are there any plans to support the upcoming kernel based modesetting?
would that be open or closed source?
That is a really good question!
In addition, I would also like to know what plans NVIDIA has relating to DRI2, Gallium3D, TTM/GEM, XVMC (for newer Chips).

But as far as I know NVIDIA, they don't like to answer these questions in detail.
Who knows, maybe I am wrong and NVIDIA would really like to answer these questions and show up what the future will bring to us customers.

best wishes
Mr. A
Mr.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 12:27 PM   #3
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation
 
AaronP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,487
Default Re: kernel based modesetting

Unfortunately, we can't. Kernel modesetting was specifically designed to be incompatible with the NVIDIA driver.

There are no plans to use DRI, TTM, or Gallium3D since the driver already has its own code for what those components provide.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 04:57 PM   #4
Kirurgs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 165
Default Re: kernel based modesetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
Kernel modesetting was specifically designed to be incompatible with the NVIDIA driver.
Is this really true? So this is like they specifically planned everything to be incomplete with nVidia? I'm just trying to understand why the heck they would like to do that...
Kirurgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 05:17 PM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation
 
AaronP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,487
Default Re: kernel based modesetting

Well, let me rephrase that... it was specifically designed to be incompatible with non-GPL drivers, at least according to Dave Airlie when I asked him about it a couple of months ago. I haven't actually looked at the code, myself.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 05:59 PM   #6
Mr.A
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 62
Unhappy Re: kernel based modesetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
Well, let me rephrase that... it was specifically designed to be incompatible with non-GPL drivers, at least according to Dave Airlie when I asked him about it a couple of months ago. I haven't actually looked at the code, myself.
That is sad.

I really hoped that NVIDIA would release GPL drivers.
So in the future it looks like I have to switch to another graphics solution, were everything works out of the box.

At the moment it looks like that AMD and Intel will give use (the end user) a better Linux Desktop experience in the near future. They will provide kernel based modesetting, DRI2, XVMC (Geforce 8+ users are waiting for it for a ling time now), Gallium3D (could make your live easier, take a look at this GSOC Project. http://code.google.com/soc/2008/xorg...D6AA025594454A)

So it is on you NVIDIA to take the chance.
Everybody could win from a GPL driver, YOU and the User.

best wishes
Mr. A
Mr.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 06:20 PM   #7
ledoc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 330
Default Re: kernel based modesetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
There are no plans to use DRI, TTM, or Gallium3D since the driver already has its own code for what those components provide.
Ok, but that would also mean that in the long run, once those things have settled, you could toss that code from your driver, reducing the amount of legacy closed source code and make your life (and ours, too) a lot easier...
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 08:39 PM   #8
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation
 
AaronP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,487
Default Re: kernel based modesetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoc
Ok, but that would also mean that in the long run, once those things have settled, you could toss that code from your driver, reducing the amount of legacy closed source code and make your life (and ours, too) a lot easier...
Actually, that would make things a lot more difficult for us. Right now, the NVIDIA drivers use the same core code across all platforms, which means that we can build the OpenGL driver pretty much unmodified on Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, etc. Using DRI, TTM, and Gallium3D would mean that the Linux OpenGL implementation would diverge significantly from the Windows one, and the end result would be a poorer user experience and more work for everybody.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-08, 03:26 AM   #9
Mr.A
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 62
Smile Re: kernel based modesetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
Actually, that would make things a lot more difficult for us. Right now, the NVIDIA drivers use the same core code across all platforms, which means that we can build the OpenGL driver pretty much unmodified on Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, etc. Using DRI, TTM, and Gallium3D would mean that the Linux OpenGL implementation would diverge significantly from the Windows one, and the end result would be a poorer user experience and more work for everybody.
So as I see it, the solution would be Gallium3D.

http://www.tungstengraphics.com/tech...gallium3d.html

Then NVIDIA would be able to support more platforms with a simpler driver.
Something must happen in the near future. The situation like it is right now isn't really good.

As time passes by NVIDIA does support less linux features like XRAND 1.2+ or xvmc.

I know OpenGL support is important but that is not everything.

Regards
Mr. A
Mr.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 03:49 AM   #10
gbil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 272
Default Re: kernel based modesetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.A
So as I see it, the solution would be Gallium3D.

http://www.tungstengraphics.com/tech...gallium3d.html

Then NVIDIA would be able to support more platforms with a simpler driver.
Something must happen in the near future. The situation like it is right now isn't really good.

As time passes by NVIDIA does support less linux features like XRAND 1.2+ or xvmc.

I know OpenGL support is important but that is not everything.

Regards
Mr. A
I really doubt NVidia will change their driver policy and design just to accommodate better linux compatibility. Don't take me wrong, I would love such a development, but market share doesn't allow this - at least for now.
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 03:54 AM   #11
Henning Rogge
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 34
Default Re: kernel based modesetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.A
That is sad.

I really hoped that NVIDIA would release GPL drivers.
So in the future it looks like I have to switch to another graphics solution, were everything works out of the box.
If Nvidia gets lucky, the Nouveau driver will be good enough to replace the Nvidia binary driver in a year or two... we still have no support for the recent card generation, but at least there will be hope.

If not AMD/ATI and Intel will grab the market share of Nvidia for the linux market.

The recent driver discussions and comments like "we don't plan to support feature X for anything else than Windows" from Nvidia are the reasons I still work with my 7900GS... I got a larger monitor and some of my games are not as "smooth" as before, but at the moment it seems to be a bad decission to buy a new nvidia card for linux users...

Just my 2 cents.
Henning Rogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 04:54 AM   #12
Mr.A
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 62
Smile Re: kernel based modesetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbil
I really doubt NVidia will change their driver policy and design just to accommodate better linux compatibility. Don't take me wrong, I would love such a development, but market share doesn't allow this - at least for now.
I don't think linux market share is as small as everybody says.
It is hard to measure how big the market share really is.
If I take a look at MacOS, the market share isn't really big compared to WinXP.

But one thing I know for sure, proprietary drivers don't help to spread linux, quite the reverse.

regards
Mr. A
Mr.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Random crashes, NVRM Xid messages Iesos NVIDIA Linux 90 10-04-12 04:27 AM
Corrupted display - 302.17 - Dell Precision T3500 (G98 [Quadro NVS 295]) gbailey NVIDIA Linux 1 06-27-12 11:24 AM
UEFI+Nvidia - NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console... interzoneuk NVIDIA Linux 0 06-26-12 05:51 AM
xorg locks-up with newest nvidia drivers w/ vdpau. theroot NVIDIA Linux 1 06-24-12 12:04 PM
Crash when logout from X TGL NVIDIA Linux 10 09-13-02 09:22 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.