Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Political Forums

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-02-13, 10:12 PM   #13
Rakeesh

Default Re: Why not let Democrats enact total gun control and raise the top marginal rate to

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynedavid View Post
The definitions for “violent crime” are very different in the US and Britain, and the methodologies of the two statistics are also different.

The FBI’s Uniform Crime Reports defines a “violent crime” as one of four specific offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.

The British Home Office has a different definition of violent crime. The British definition includes all “crimes against the person,” including simple assaults, all robberies, and all “sexual offenses,” as opposed to the FBI, which only counts aggravated assaults and “forcible rapes.”

I can't believe people still fall for that Daily Mail article.
They don't really indicate what metrics they're using. I have a feeling that since they compared multiple countries (not just comparing US to UK,) they probably did their homework and used raw data rather than reports, otherwise the whole article would be meaningless.

I do know this anecdotally:

I have a friend from England who tells me that there is a bigger douchebag to normal person ratio. I.e. he told me about one time how he was just walking along and somebody out at random he didn't even know just punched him in the face and ran off. That and skinheads, which pretty much don't exist here. The closest to that is the klan, but you pretty much have to go looking for them to find them.

And then there's an article I was reading a while back where Indian call centers were saying that the British were always by far the most rude people they deal with, with Germans being the least rude, and Americans not far behind them.

Not passing judgement on Brits by the way, two of my best friends are British (one from Leeds, one from somewhere in Wales.) Just saying what I know.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 06:18 PM   #14
lynedavid

Default Re: Why not let Democrats enact total gun control and raise the top marginal rate to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
They don't really indicate what metrics they're using. I have a feeling that since they compared multiple countries (not just comparing US to UK,) they probably did their homework and used raw data rather than reports, otherwise the whole article would be meaningless.

I do know this anecdotally:

I have a friend from England who tells me that there is a bigger douchebag to normal person ratio. I.e. he told me about one time how he was just walking along and somebody out at random he didn't even know just punched him in the face and ran off. That and skinheads, which pretty much don't exist here. The closest to that is the klan, but you pretty much have to go looking for them to find them.

And then there's an article I was reading a while back where Indian call centers were saying that the British were always by far the most rude people they deal with, with Germans being the least rude, and Americans not far behind them.

Not passing judgement on Brits by the way, two of my best friends are British (one from Leeds, one from somewhere in Wales.) Just saying what I know.
The whole article is meaningless. Typical tabloid newspaper rubbish.

The global peace index tries to use more sensible metrics I guess:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...ace-index-2013

In the uk there are good and bad areas like everywhere really.