Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-23-11, 06:35 AM   #1
pooja dahiya

Default Linux

hey guys, i m currently using Vista Operating system and want to use Linux. Plz tell me which version of Linux is good or should i used? And is Linux is better than Vista???
pooja dahiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 06:24 AM   #2
interzoneuk

Default Re: Linux

If by 'better' you mean :-

- Faster
- Less Bloated.
- No spyware/virus threat for desktop users (as of yet..)
- A system that *you* not Microsoft fully control
- Technically superior
- NOT funding a company that uses patents to suppress the technological advancement of mankind
- NOT funding a company that lobbies government's in support of ACTA/PIPA (that in turn suppress your rights)
- NOT funding a company that is already funded by YOUR tax dollars (due to their monopoly that they keep by using FUD and NOT by having a better product

Then yes *most* Linux distro's are better
interzoneuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 10:18 AM   #3
Tanker Bob
Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64

I left Windows for Linux specifically because of Vista and have never looked back. Just about all Linux distributions are good. Ubuntu is the most popular. Mint, based on Ubuntu, and Fedora are probably the next two most popular. All three have excellent user forums when you need help.
Gigabyte EP45-UD3L MB, Q9650 Core 2 Quad @ 3.3 GHz (OC), 8 GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 SDRAM, EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS w/640MB, 40 GB Intel SSD, 2.0 TB x2 SATA RAID1, Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64
Tanker Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 07:32 PM   #4
teremtetrs

Linux was originally developed as a free operating system for Intel x86-based personal computers. It has since been ported to more computer hardware platforms than any other operating system. It is a leading operating system on servers and other big iron systems such as mainframe computers and supercomputers: more than 90% of today's 500 fastest supercomputers run some variant of Linux,including the 10 fastest. Linux also runs on embedded systems (devices where the operating system is typically built into the firmware and highly tailored to the system) such as mobile phones, tablet computers, network routers, televisions and video game consoles; the Android system in wide use on mobile devices is built on the Linux kernel.
teremtetrs is offline   Reply With Quote