Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-13, 10:49 AM   #1
ALobpreis

Exclamation Opera leaves Presto and embraces WebKit

Quote:
Opera will release new versions of their browser for mobile and desktop based on WebKit. They are also going to integrate Chromium.

Opera has announced their intention to gradually switch the rendering engine from Presto to WebKit for smartphones, tablets and desktop computers during 2013 when new versions are to be released. The move will strengthen WebKit in its competition with Microsoft Trident and Firefox Gecko, leaving the world with fewer browser engines choices and making the life of countless developers a little bit easier by having less platforms to test for.
http://www.infoq.com/news/2013/02/Opera-WebKit-Presto

OMG!!
ALobpreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-13, 03:49 PM   #2
Q

Default Re: Opera leaves Presto and embraces WebKit

It's about time. I've always admired Opera but could never embrace it as my primary browser. A part of that was that the rendering engine always resulted in pages that looked a bit "off" to me. They have a ton of great stuff going for them, so this should hopefully allow them to focus on differentiation even more.

They also bought SkyFire the same day they announced this. Should result in some exciting stuff in the mobile sector.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote