Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-02-12, 01:23 PM   #1
Licaon

Default ViewPortIn and ViewPortOut in 302.07

I'm trying to adapt my config to the new settings, yet I fail to grasp exactly how to do it.

what I want pre-302.07:
Code:
Option         "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = aspect-scaled"
what 302.07 wants me to write:
Code:
nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="DFP-0: 1920x1200 { ViewPortIn=1280x1024, ViewPortOut=1500x1200+210+0}"
Ok, so how do I do that for ALL the non 16:10 resolutions WITHOUT creating a new MetaMode for EACH AND EVERY possible resolution? ( running through nvidia-settings helps me to avoid a X11 restart for every test, wicked )

Also, I see that I can use panning to do some sort of downscaling things ( like in Windows: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=346325 ) but without the clock/freqs messing around like
Code:
nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="DFP-0: 1920x1200 { ViewPortIn=2560x1600}"
would yield me a 2560x1600 image scaled to the native panel resolution of 1920x1200, great, BUT while the image and apps can use all the screen space my mouse is LIMITED to a upper left 1920x1200 rectangle and I can't reach the lower right corner

ideas?

Last edited by Licaon; 05-03-12 at 01:32 AM. Reason: typpox
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 04:51 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: ViewPortIn and ViewPortOut in 302.07

Yes, you need to create metamodes for the scaling configurations you want.

I pushed a change to the xrandr command-line tool that should make it easier to configure that sort of thing on the fly: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/app...4ba83ff9e6c207

Usage:
Code:
xrandr --output whatever --mode whatever --scale-from WxH
where W and H are the width and height of the desired ViewPortIn.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 04:53 PM   #3
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Oh sorry, you said aspect-scaled. In that case yeah, you'll have to use MetaModes.
Old 05-02-12, 05:17 PM   #4
Gusar

Apologies for the wording, but this kinda sucks . The old FlatPanelProperties option was waaaaaaay simpler, it didn't require any calculation. It was just one setting and you were done, regardless of in/out resolutions.

Open source xrandr drivers can do this, an example with Intel graphics:
Code:
xrandr --output LVDS1 --set "scaling mode" "Full aspect"
the other options being "Full" and "Center".
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 05:45 PM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

We made a decision to remove the idea of "front" and "back" timings in favor of just driving the mode requested as the actual hardware mode and using the transform to specify scaling. This provides extra flexibility while also making it clearer what mode timings are actually going to the monitor. It also lets you specify whatever size you want as the ViewPortIn, rather than being limited to what's in the output's mode list.

Future releases should make this easier to configure via nvidia-settings, and I expect the various RandR-based open source tools to gain support for this too as RandR drivers start to have better support for transforms.
Old 05-02-12, 08:04 PM   #6
aritger
NVIDIA Corporation

Thanks for testing this, and sorry for any interim pain.

Yes, like Aaron said: The ViewPort{In,Out} configurability is much more flexible and powerful, because you can choose what modetimings to drive to the display device independently of what sized region to read from the X screen, and how to scale that region within the modetimings. But, it is admittedly pretty low level and we can layer higher level tools for simpler configuration on top of it.

Liacon: for your uses, how do you normally choose between the modes that you would like aspect-scaled? E.g., are you using an application that uses the old XV86VidMode extension? Are you switching between MetaModes that you configured in your xorg.conf? An X log with ModeDebug=True (`nvidia-xconfig --mode-debug`) from 295.xx might help illustrate your usage.

Gusar: thanks for the point about the "scaling mode" output property. I assume in that case, the "mode" (set through xrandr's '--mode') is actually the ViewPortIn size, and the driver infers the actual mode (what the monitor receives), presumably using the preferred timing as reported by the EDID. I would be reluctant to reinterpret the mode as ViewPortIn size, but we can look into similar sorts of things.

Lastly, for the problems with "DFP-0: 1920x1200 { ViewPortIn=2560x1600}", there is currently a bug where RRGetCrtcInfo isn't correct for custom ViewPortIns. I suspect your window manager is looking at the RRGetCrtcInfo information and clamping your windows to that size. We'll hopefully fix that soon.
Old 05-03-12, 01:23 AM   #7
Licaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aritger View Post
Licaon: for your uses, how do you normally choose between the modes that you would like aspect-scaled?
I don't want to choose anything, I just want ALL my resolutions to be "Fullscreen-Aspect-Scaled" no matter what application... games mostly.

Quote:
E.g., are you using an application that uses the old XV86VidMode extension?
no idea, does Witcher2 under WINE do that?

Quote:
Are you switching between MetaModes that you configured in your xorg.conf?
no idea, I just want 1920x1200 ( native ) on my desktop and whatever other resolution that say a game may want to be fullscreen-aspect-scaled

Quote:
An X log with ModeDebug=True (`nvidia-xconfig --mode-debug`) from 295.xx might help illustrate your usage.
I'll do that later today.

Quote:
Lastly, for the problems with "DFP-0: 1920x1200 { ViewPortIn=2560x1600}", there is currently a bug where RRGetCrtcInfo isn't correct for custom ViewPortIns. I suspect your window manager is looking at the RRGetCrtcInfo information and clamping your windows to that size. We'll hopefully fix that soon.
ok, 10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Future releases should make this easier to configure via nvidia-settings, and I expect the various RandR-based open source tools to gain support for this too as RandR drivers start to have better support for transforms.
So we are going to have a GUI setting back in ? Will it be like on Windows with setup for each mode ?

Also why is 1280x800 missing in Linux ( as opposed to Windows ) but I have 1280x960 and 1280x720 ?
Old 05-03-12, 01:52 AM   #8
rainerklier

Unhappy Re: ViewPortIn and ViewPortOut in 302.07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
I don't want to choose anything, I just want ALL my resolutions to be "Fullscreen-Aspect-Scaled" no matter what application... games mostly.
Me too.
And i want a simple setting to let all resolutions to be "centered-non-scaled". so that, for example, a 1280x800 image is shown unscaled in the center of a 1680x1050 or a 1920x1080 screen.

with the old driver and tools, this was possible with a single, simple setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
no idea, I just want 1920x1200 ( native ) on my desktop and whatever other resolution that say a game may want to be fullscreen-aspect-scaled
Me too, but instead of fullscreen-aspect-scaled i want all games to be "centered-non-scaled".

And i don't want to calculate all the possible values manually for ViewPortIn and ViewPortOut.
rainerklier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-12, 05:06 PM   #9
Licaon

Some more issues, I guess I really can't grasp the method.

I presumed that
Quote:
Option "MetaModes" "DFP-0: 1920x1200 { ViewPortIn=1920x1080, ViewPortOut=1920x1080+0+60 }"
or
Option "MetaModes" "DFP-0: 1920x1080 { ViewPortIn=1920x1080, ViewPortOut=1920x1080+0+60 }"
or
Option "MetaModes" "DFP-0: 1920x1200 { ViewPortIn=2560x1600, ViewPortOut=1920x1200+0+0 }"
Option "MetaModes" "DFP-0: 1920x1200 { ViewPortIn=2560x1440, ViewPortOut=1920x1080+0+60 }"
would *create* a mode named 1920x1080 that I could select from nvidia-settings, it does not, actually it does not even _aspect-scale_ that mode as I defined it if I want say Unigine Heaven to use it, it does not do anything.

Actually I lie, it does something, every line like that for every resolution does something IF AND ONLY IF it's the first metamode defined and it does one thing only IT MODIFIES MY DEFAULT DESKTOP RESOLUTION to that one as defined (scaled, stretched, whatever)

Question1: How can I define an _aspect-scaled_ non-native non-desktop-default mode in the config? What's the text after "MetaModes" that I need to write so I can use native matched 1:1 pixels for 1920x1200 on my desktop to browse the forums or edit an *ods BUT IF AND ONLY IF I start UnigineHeaven in 800x600 I'll get a fullscreen _aspect-scaled_ 800x600 ( as the README says 1600x1200+160+0 ) ?

Question2: How can I create modes that are missing in Linux like 1280x800 or 1600x900 but are available in Windows ?

/LE: attached requested logs with modedebug
Attached Files
File Type: gz 295.40-nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (97.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: gz 302.27-nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (145.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 06-17-12, 06:49 AM   #10
darkraven

At least a pre-configured list of resolution should be available in xrandr. Currently only supported resolution in xrandr are those in EDID, thus run fullscreen game which doesn't use the native resolution with wine will fails with "No matching mode found"
darkraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 05:10 AM   #11
vojta

I have same problems with Wine. I can't play any game, that wants to change resolution, e.g. Stronghold Crusaders wants 1024x768 but Wine only prints out this error: "err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsE x No matching mode found 1024x768x32 @0! (XRandR)".

Is there any way, how to add that mode for my notebook's monitor? I have already tried some magic with ViewPortIn, but nothing helps.
vojta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 06:28 PM   #12
aritger
NVIDIA Corporation

FYI, the 304.22 beta release hopefully makes some of this better:

* RandR 1.1 (what Wine/SDL use by default, I believe) is now routed to MetaModes (like it was before 302.xx). This should mean that Wine/SDL games can choose any of the MetaModes configured for the X screen.

* The "IncludeImplicitMetaModes" X configuration is enhanced: it will add MetaModes for common resolutions in more cases, and you can influence the scaling used for some of those implicit MetaModes. See IncludeImplicitMetaModes in the README for details.

I hope that helps with at least some of the issues reported in this thread. If you continue to have related problems, please let me know.