View Single Post
Old 08-14-10, 08:19 PM   #10
openjv

Unhappy Re: No Optimus support means NO Nvidia at all or no dynamic switching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricv View Post
Hi all,

Optimus being a technology to dynamically switch between GPU depending load and open applications, no support on Linux can mean two things :
1) no support for dynamic adaptive GPU switching, which is the raison d'etre of Optimus : bringing substantial power savings.
2) no support at all, the NVidia GPU is completely OFF and cannot be ever turned ON under Linux.
Quote:
On laptops that don't have that hardware mux (i.e. where the display is hard-wired to the Intel display engine), then you currently cannot use the NVIDIA GPU for display, though you should still be able to use it for CUDA and offscreen rendering.

We currently do not have plans to support display on Optimus systems where the display is connected to the Intel hardware, but as you said, it's something we'll probably end up having to look into in the future, to at least provide some basic display sharing. I can't promise anything, though.
I think this says it all. Unfortunately this will be the end of Nvidia products for me and thousands of other Linux users.

I really wanted to buy an Optimus solution, but i guess Ati wants my money more.
openjv is offline   Reply With Quote